Web Services and XML
In a recent message to the GData Python Client Library Contributors mailing list, Joe Gregorio outlines a new discovery capability for GData APIs. E.g. here's a document that describes the Buzz API. Look familiar ? To me it looks very much like a JSON version of WADL.
Joe goes on to describe the benefits of this approach and notes that it "allows very lightweight client libraries" and...
on Jul 16, 2010
Last week saw the release of three new WADL frameworks:
Ruby client for the Web Application Description Language
Earlier I had committed, but failed to blog about, changes to wadl2java that enable the latest version to read both the current and prior versions of WADL files. This is driven by an XSLT stylesheet filter that updates the previous version to the latest...
on May 10, 2010
This week is my last at Oracle, next week I'll be starting a new job with Mitre.
I started looking around for a "Plan B" prior to the Sun acquisition closing in February, mainly due to uncertainty about whether I'd be offerred a position with Oracle. A friend introduced me to an excellent opportunity at Mitre and, after a couple of rounds of interviews and a lot of thought, Plan B...
on Apr 27, 2010
I've extended the declarative hyperlinking module to support the HTTP Link header. It works similarly to the @Link annotation I described earlier except you annotate the response entity class with @LinkHeader (or @LinkHeaders if you need more than one Link header) instead of annotating response entity fields with @Link. Here's a complete example that shows both annotations in action:
on Mar 18, 2010
I've spent some time fleshing out the code in the experimental declarative hyperlinking module I blogged about earlier. In that earlier entry I showed how you could use the new @Link annotation with existing URI templates either explicitly like this:
or by referencing a resource class @Path annotation value like this:
on Mar 17, 2010
One of the areas I'm keen to improve in the next version of JAX-RS is link creation. JAX-RS already offers UriBuilder but I think an annotation driven approach could save a lot of repetitive coding.
I've been experimenting with a couple of annotations that I think would be useful and I just checked in an experimental extension that partially implements what I have in mind. Suppose you have a...
on Mar 10, 2010