After an initial mechanical hiccup, the NetBeans Mobile is purring along nicely, and I'm stopped for the night most of the way across Nevada. Photos from today are available here.
I'd thought my wiring problem was a loose wire, but it turned out that the alternator was not putting out nearly enough current. So after making it to Sacramento where there was not enough power to make the blinkers blink, I gave in and took it to a truck stop garage. Fortunately my friend Sharat lives here.
Well, I got the NetBeans Mobile loaded, and picked up a slew of NetBeans t-shirts, books, usb drives and squishy balls (thanks, Julie Welch!).
I was in Home Depot this afternoon, and used their automated checkout to buy some supplies for the NetBeans Mobile. They have an automated system that lets you scan your own items, and talks to you.
Well, the graphics are on, and the NetBeans Mobile is now officially a big honkin' truck with NetBeans logos on it!Getting ready and loaded up is taking a little longer than I had hoped (I'm just a typical engineer underestimating how long work will take :-)) - so I expect to be on the road on Monday.
An update on the NetBeansMobile: I expect to actually hit the road tomorrow or Sunday, depending on how much I get done between now and then. Kinko's didn't have the graphics ready on Wednesday, so I picked them up yesterday evening, and am about to try not to screw up sticking them on the vehicle.
I'm going to doing a road trip - part me moving to the east coast of the U.S., part NetBeans World Tour. So I'm loading up this truck with NetBeans books and t-shirts (along with my earthly posessions).
In an interview published today, Tom Wheeler and I talk a bit about how Boeing is using the NetBeans Platform for a number of internal software projects, and even has an internal distribution for building on called the Boeing Sha
Well, our new NetBeans book is not finished, but available in "rough cut" form.
A while back I wrote a tool called BeanNetter that would take any library JAR file and generate a NetBeans module that added the library to the list of libraries you can use from your projects (a handy way to bundle source and Javadoc all together so people can debug).