It seems that we can popup a JOptionPane from a background
thread in a SwingWorker without the sky falling in. "But why?"
The different Linux distributions shouldn't be Fedora, Ubuntu, or Suse. They should be Server Edition, Developer Edition and Desktop Edition.
Server Edition will include JEE, PostgreSQL et al, Desktop will include OpenOffice, Java, Gnome/KDE et al, and the Developer Edition, Eclipse and um, Netbeans!? One would hope so!
The top story today is... Java is GPL'ed! The future begins today! And now for something completely unmomentous...
align=left vspace=8 hspace=18 />
It's an "interesting" time for our industry, and for ourselves as Java developers, innit!?
Come of think of it, this can be Java versus Python and all the other scripting languages, ouch!
- Beauty. No legacy underscores. Nuf sed.
- Java has long, clear, unabbreviated names.
- With Java, IDEs come standard so that you don't have to type those long names. Phew!
- Sooo many vendors support Java, except Microsoft.
vspace=8 hspace=16 align=left />
Here is an extract from an upcoming article, called "Enhanced DTs" about EDT "boilerplate" programming, which i'm publishing in smaller more manageable doses.
- Beauty. Let's face it, using uppercase for method names is mental.
- Free enterprise stacks, free frameworks, free IDEs, free everything! Buy now pay later.
- java.net, jcp.org - you can brew Java.
- Java is opensource - you can brew your own java.
- Java is supported by all vendors, except Microsoft.
- No more titles like "AWESOME WEBSITE WITH PICTURES"
- Dzone is an awesome website with awesome pictures of other awesome websites! If you hover over the picture, it pops up an awesome bigger picture!
- You can customise how many articles to show on one page eg. a lot. I really do digg this feature. This should be number one.
- Mmmmm.... software.
- You only need 4 votes.
This the first part of my work-in-progress, um, online book, woohoo!
It's a preachy scifi/fantasy online book, trilogy in 42 parts, on how you could rewrite your database application using Swing. It's gonna be whatsit, creative commons, partly because it's not gonna be worth the, um, paper its not written on.
dzone.com is helluva well done. In my book it's got the critical mass already to rapidly become the top developer site on the internet.